Choosing the right wedding date is tough: you have to coordinate with so many important family and friends’ availability, and there’s usually at least a few people in your family who have an opinion on when is best.
With Valentine’s Day coming up in just two weeks, it got me thinking about how popular the 14th of February is for proposals and weddings.
As a wedding planner, I LOVE love and all the romance that comes with it. But like any choice of wedding date, there are pros and cons to getting married on the most romantic day of the year:
Why Valentine’s Day may not be the best day to get married:
1. You’ll share your wedding anniversary with everyone else who’s celebrating their love that day. Restaurant bookings will probably be more expensive and harder to get, and you won’t be the only one getting sent flowers at the office that day.
2. You will generally need to book your venue further in advance
Often up to two years or more in advance, to ensure you can secure this popular date.
3. Unless you also send Save The Dates to your guests well in advance, you might also find some are already booked up with other plans that day. Maybe even at another wedding.
4. The cost of flowers for your big day may be more expensive. Prices are often inflated during the Valentine’s Day period.
5. Your unmarried friends might find it harder to bring a guest along.
Being invited to a wedding AND to celebrate Valentine’s Day in one go just might be a little too much pressure for some.
6. Got any single friends (who’d rather not be)?
Valentines probably isn’t their favourite day of the year…
Why it’s great to get married on Valentine’s Day:
1. Your significant other will never forget your anniversary.
Plus, the influx of red love hearts and roses in the shops in the lead up to Valentine’s Day will always serve as a reminder that your anniversary is coming up.
2. Only one romantic gift to splash out on each year.
So you can make it an extra special one.
3. Your guests will be in the mood to celebrate luuuuurve in all its splendour.
4. Picking a theme / your wedding colours will be super easy. It’s all about pink & red!
5. There will be heaps of great theming options in all the shops that you can use for your reception decorations.
And finding cute bonboniere will be a breeze.
6. It’s so romantic!
What better day to celebrate your love than when you can practically smell the roses in the air already.
The bridal waltz signifies the first dance of the bride and groom as a married couple. My suggestions for a romantic first dance …
1. The Way You Look Tonight – Michael Buble
2. Moondance – Michael Buble
3. At Last – Etta James
4. Fly Me to the Moon – Sinatra
5. Keep Holding On – Avril Lavigne
6. Sway – Dean Martin
7. Have I Told You That Lately That I Love You – Van Morrison/Michael Buble
8. Love is All Around – Wet Wet Wet
9. It Had to Be You – Harry Connick Jnr
10. You Are So Beautiful – Joe Cocker
11. If I Could – 1927
12. When You Say Nothing At All – Ronan Keating
13. When I Fall In Love – Nat King Cole
14. Always and Forever – Heatwave
15. Always – Atlantic Star
16. Here and Now – Luther Vandross
17. I Knew I Loved You – Savage Garden
18. I’ll Still Be Loving You – Restless Heart
19. Just the Way You Are – Billy Joel
20. More Than Words – Extreme
Do you have any suggestions? Add them to Comments!